Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Dance Class...Not So Much

For a couple of months now I have really been wanting to go to this cardio class at my gym. The class is called Cardio Video Dance. The brief description on the website says " A low-impact workout with the music and choreography from popular music dance videos adapted for the fitness environment." I took a class like this at the gym at Tech and it was awesome. We learned dance routines from music videos like Janet Jackson and Britney Spears. Lately I have been going to the gym at lunch more often and the 6:30pm class schedule just wasn't working out for me.

Last night my schedule finally worked out so I could make it to class. I walked into the studio and was the only person there. Once other girl walked in tentatively. The instructor walked in and as she was setting up the music encouraged a very tall man to join us. She said the class would be really fun and described it as a Jane Fonda-esque workout. She said she figured "if it worked for you mother is will work for you."

With that I turned and looked at her and cocked my head to the side inquisitively. She went on to say that the gym didn't consult her before they put the description of the class on the website. That's when I decided to speak up. I told her that after reading the description I came in fully anticipating her teaching us the moves to Beyonce's latest music video. She chuckled and said that would be fun but she had no clue how to teach that.

I would have walked out but she then started talking to the guy she had roped in to taking the class. He was saying how he hadn't worked out in two years. She asked him about his Olympic rings tattoo. He said he had danced in the opening ceremonies years ago. After that, I was hooked. We started chatting and then the class began. His comments are what carried me through. He was hilarious asking us why we weren't huffing and puffing like he was. He even knew that the UCA on my shorts stood for Universal Cheerleaders Association. I'm happy he was there. The class was extremely boring and I would have left early had I not had my own personal entertainer right beside me. When I head to the gym today I plan to tell them that they need to change the name and description on the website. I don't really plan on taking the class again even though I did break a sweat.

No comments: